feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

The Kentucky Gators and Jacob Jenkins 101: From the 08' Hoopfest

Labels: , , , , , , ,



















We were in attendance as Coach Travis Durham and his Kentucky Gators took on Team Vigilance. I didn't see any of the UK or UofL coaches in attendance at this one although there were assistants from LSU, Nevada, Georgia, Miami of Ohio, and Tulane. Travis Ford was personally on hand for the game. On the surface the Gator team looked outgunned, but they proved to be a game foe and almost held on to the game.

Early on the Gators led behind strong play by sophomore Chris Richard and his sweet stroke. Senior Jacob Jenkins ability to wreak havoc in all areas of the game was obvious from the tip.

At one point early on Jenkins missed a contested layup, but hustled and helped to trap on defense slapping the ball away and causing a ten second violation. With just under 6 minutes remaining in the first half Jenkins forced a carry. On the next possession after drawing the double team he kicked the ball out to a wide open Richard for a three.
Jenkins finished the game with 16 hard fought points however he is averaging over 27 per game this summer.

In the second half the Gators legs just gave out and they let the lead slip away. With just under a minute left the Gators trailed 56-49 coach Durham told his team.

"Deny the post, if they get to the basket they got you beat, just reach."

Coach Durham was intent on net letting this one slip away. However in the end his team came up a little short 60-54.

After the game we caught up with Jenkins and Coach Durham.

We first asked Jacob to sum up his game and what he has been working on this summer?

On his game: I feel like I can shoot the ball really good. I think I can hit all kinds of shots, mid range, long range.

On what he has been working on: "Being more versatile you know? getting stronger, picking up weight, playing tougher and getting to the rack. I just like to come out compete and play hard."

When your shot is not falling you seem to stay involved in the game in all other aspects, your on the floor, your in the passing lanes.

"Yeah I always try to be aggressive and to be consistent no matter whats going on. I just keep my head straight and be there for my team."

What was coach telling you today during those last few timeouts down the stretch?

"He told us we needed to get a stop. We went small and we had to scrap, we had to start trapping. We just came up short we didn't get enough steals or turnovers. They were smart with the ball, overall."

What about the three local schools. Kentucky, Louisville and Indiana?

"All three have kept tabs on me. I visited Louisville so that was nice. I have heard from Indiana a little bit and Kentucky they have watched my games and I went to their camp. I think they all have medium interest, but anything can happen."

How was the camp?

"I had a lot of fun it was a nice experience."

Who was the best player you saw at the Elite camp?

"Best player? As far as potential is Dominique Ferguson."

What is the list right now?

"Wisconsin, Eastern Kentucky, South Carolina, Miami of Ohio and of course Louisville, Kentucky and Indiana."



















(Coach Durham left, assistant Jeremy Buckman right)

Coach Durham then was nice enough to answer a few question for us

"I have been coaching since 2000."

How have you guys fared this summer coach?

"We are 14-4 we played 3 of the best teams up in the take 5. We played Peyton Siva's team in the final four and lost by about 4 or 5."

You guys almost pulled one out and were in control most of the game.

"We did, we got a little tired, if we had a little more depth I think we would have beat them. Jacob usually scores 25- 30 points the shots just didn't fall today."

Even when Jacob's shots weren't falling, I noticed that he is always scrapping, in the lanes and on the floor.

"That's what I tell them I don't care about the score sometimes. You have to play defense, rebound and pass and everything else will fall into place."

How is it coaching this group of kids?

"I love em', I love em' all. I got a great group of kids, I wouldn't trade any of them in. They do good in school, they do what I ask, they are team players and I am hard coach to play for sometimes."

Jenkins had 24 points with 18 of them came on three point field goals, against Siva's team, with Siva shadowing Jenkins the whole game in Cincinnati at the take 5.

We have a lot more from day 1 and 2 including a Harrison Barnes update: Barnes had 26 and 28 today. He scored 28 in front of Coach Gillispie and Coach Cox. Full story tomorrow

Also another former IU player finds a home please click here for the full story